Reference to Sustainability
While the nelma.org website contains an abundance of pages designed to support the design, marketing, and location of specific manufacturers and retailers for northeastern softwood lumber, reference to the sustainability of the forest and wood products has been amiss. Recognizing this void, NELMA’s Strategic Planning Group instructed the creation of a segment of the Association’s website to “host” pertinent sustainability research reports and studies. The purpose is to provide the individual viewer a source of factual information that verifies the northeastern forest industry’s (and forest industry overall’s) excellent story, in addition to serving NELMA’s members as a go-to location for reference.
Newly housed under the “Library” tab of the nelma.org website and titled FOREST AND WOOD PRODUCT SUSTAINABILITY INFORMATION, a variety of reports and studies are now available for viewing and downloading. They include:
• Maine’s Forest Economy Report. November 2013.
• Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for Softwood Lumber. May 2013.
• Science Supporting the Economic and Environmental Benefits of Using Wood and Wood Products in Green Building Construction. September 2011.
• Wood Products and Carbon Protocols: Carbon Storage and Low Energy Intensity Should Be Considered. April 2008.
• The State of America’s Forests. 2007.
This section will be continually updated with subject-appropriate reports, studies, and information as they become known and available. Please contact NELMA (Phone: 207-829-6901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) with information on additional title suggestions that will further enhance this important reference section of the website.